Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Middle 510 miles AKA Day Two

What's the best way to start day two of one of the biggest adventures of your life?  You guessed it, a waffle. Especially when you make it yourself. Oh, there also has to be  sausage  and an english muffin.  Really, I don't think there is any other choice.

 Except for my Mother, who had dry wheat toast.

 I had my slurry.

 It was all good.

(I told my mother that I would tell my husband that she did put butter on her toast. Consider him told, Mom)





We got on the road at 9:00am.  Our first stop 9:45.  Now in all honesty, between my liquid intake and my father's prostate, stopping every 45 minutes is about right.

Somewhere, before our fist stop, there was a sign that said Bowling Green x number of miles. Dad busts out with the proclamation "we are almost through Kentucky."  Now, I'm not a geography genious. Sometimes I have trouble making my way across town but we were only about 30 minutes from the hotel, which was on the south side of Louisville.  My guess is we had a few more hours of Kentucky left to go.

Stop two happened at 10:12.  There was a small crisis in that the gas gauge dipped below half.  Yes, we had to stop. We also needed to find a walgreens. Mom had a root canal the day before they left and there seems to be some magic over the counter pain medicine, non-aspirin, that only Walgreen's carries. Just my luck, we found a CVS and I had to deliver the news.

As I came out of the gas station, after buying $8 worth of snacks (all good choices and will last a few days, by the way) "Dad, there's a CVS four lights down, across from the Best Buy."

"Ok, Kath. Lorraine," he yells over the top of the car. We were all outside within ear shot of each other. "There's a CVS down the road. Let's go."

"No, Raymond. I said Walgreens." Now, I can't convey tone too well. There are cetain ways people stretch out words to inflect tone. Those two sentances were full of tone.

We all pile back in the car and off we go....down the road to CVS. Dad's thought, and rightly so, is that CVS and Walgreens are usually across the street from each other.  Unfortunately, not in this case.  She found something that she "hopes will work."

 Me too, Mom. Me too.

We crossed into Tennesse at 11:10 am.   The second proclamation was that at noon, when we hit Nashville, we will eat lunch.  The first restaurant we see we will stop, as long as it's a good one. At this point, I'm thinking I made a tactical mistake.  I should have gone into CVS and picked up a bottle of Nyquil or better yet, some Benadryl tablets I could have crushed into a fine powder. You know, for a little nappy nappy after lunch which is when my driving shift began.

Lunch was McDonald's, sorry no Cracker barrel today.

I was lucky enough to be driving when we hit Atlanta at 5:00 p.m.  It was as fun as it sounds (Stephaine, it wasn't the same and was kind of strange not driving with you on 285).

As we sat in traffic Dad and I discussed Kudzu. If you don't know what Kudzu is go here. Anyway, we were discussing how it's invasive and Dad hatched a plan. "They just need to dig up the root.  Get some of those prisoners out here and have them dig up the roots." I love my Dad's plans, I really do. I have some research to do tonight to report back to him tomorrow. I have found out that you don't need to kill the root, just the root crown.  This is going to change the whole plan.  I might have to print out my research for him to read in the car tomorrow.

I feel obligated to report that the reason you aren't hearing much about Mom is because she's in the back seat.  The boat, better known as a Grand Marque, is large and loaded down.  She can't hear us up front. After awhile, yelling conversations isn't that enjoyable.  She did get two phone calls while we were stuck in traffic.  By the time she woke up,  found her phone, found her glasses and put in her ear phone she had missed the first call. It was one of my brothers. She called him back.  About 10 minutes later my other brother called her.  I got a glimpse into how conversations are repeated. I'm sure I've been on the other end of the phone while she tells the same story for the third or fourth time. Then again, she may not realize it.  On this trip alone I have heard the same story three times how Aunt Florence had to get new hearing aids because one of the Sisters at the convent got tired of her just saying "uh huh, yes" all the time to everything.

The beginning of our day two.


It was after lunch when I realized I was in real trouble.  As we were driving on a long stretch of 24 East the following words popped out of my mouth. "Oh look. See Rock City, 4 miles."  All I can say is the sign made me do it.

Oh, and gas was $2.48 "over here".

7:12 p.m.  All tucked in safe and sound in Byron, GA

No comments:

Post a Comment