Saturday, October 16, 2010

The first phone call

About three days after I arrived back home I received a phone call from my Dad.  I had tried calling them the day before but no one answered. As a matter of fact, the same night I tried to call my parents my oldest brother called me.  He said he couldn't get anyone to answer either.  We both started to worry a little because my sister had left town and was on vaction.   My brother said he would keep trying and let me know when he gets in touch with them.

Anyway, they were fine, just busy   I heard all about it when my Dad called. Well I should say I heard all about it when my Dad called and then handed my Mom the phone.

Seems they went grocery shopping and the bill was quite large. This was shocking to my Mother.  Of course my parents stock piled at the old house.  When food items were "a good buy", they'd buy. The old house had space for that kind of thing too. There was a basement with storage rooms in the back which was a great place to hold extras (and hide Christmas cookies).  They didn't move the extra food. I think she gave most of it away, excet for the 9 cans of mixed nuts we found in a box. What can I say, Dad likes his mixed nuts.

In the new house they don't have that kind of storage space. Mom said that's ok because she's not going to shop like that any more.  At this point I could say something like "old dog, new tricks" but I'll just settle with...we'll see. 

Once the food conversation was over my Mom turned to the bigger issue at hand and I swear on all that is holy I am not making this up.

"Well, we have to send the shade back." Mom sounded disappointed. I soon found out why.

"Why? What's wrong with it? I thought Dad was going to put that up on Wednesday." Sometimes I'm just to innocent.

"They sent the wrong brackets. They don't fit the window." She does not sound happy.

"Are you sure, Mom?"

"Yes. We have to send it back. They are sending us a new one but it won't get here until Tuesday."  Now she sounds appalled.  I knew exactly why.



Their big bedroom widnow faces the cul-de-sac and now it's not covered. The whole world can see in.  I get that. I truly do. Being as I am I start to problem solve.

"Mom, just tack up a sheet. The neighbors know you're getting settled and that it's temporary."

"No, no."

"...Or maybe tape up some newspaper. It will only be up a few days and you can have some privacy."

"No, we just go to bed early...."

"Mom..."

"....about 7:30.  By the time it's dark outside, our house is dark."

I couldn't help myself. I had to laugh and there was no sense in trying to convnce them of a way to cover the window.  They had problem solved on their own. I have feeling there's a lot more of that is going to happen in the months to come.


Update: Talked to Mom and Dad today. I'm happy to report the shade is up, they have their cable and internet conncetions but Mom is feeling very home sick. Oh well, three steps forward, one step back. Even that way, they'll get there eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment